Thursday, November 8, 2007

Dramatized Church History Cassettes

In the summer I found the Living Scriptures Dramatized Church History Cassettes (1980) in a book store. I bought them thinking that I would use them to help research and relive some of these events.

My thirteen year old son wanted to borrow one. I said One. I didn't ant them lost. That was 4 months ago. Since then he has listened to all 36 tapes 9 times. We got some of the old Book of Mormon tapes - he kept listening to the church history cassettes.

These were written about 1980 - and I have been very impressed with them. Orson Scott Card wrote the scripts - and he did an excellent job in making it clear that the church members were not perfect.

What is even neater is that my 13 year old and I have something to talk about. He doesn't like sports - and I don't like Pokeman. However, we can talk about church history in such detail: Reed Smoot, 1978 Revelation; WW Phelps, The mobs in Missouri and Illinois - and the good ones like hte Kirtland Temple.

It has been neat to share together.

Rob Ficiur
www.latterdaycanada.com

2 comments:

Stephanie Humphreys said...

When I was a single mom, I loved the scriptures on tape. I worked two jobs, so my scripture study time became the drive to and from work as I listened to the tapes over and over again. How great that your 13 year old loves them. I wonder if I could convince my 13 year old to listen to something like that?

Anonymous said...

Hi Rob
I stumbled across your blog on LDS BLOGS. I thought you might be interested in a site my wife and I just built called MormonsMadeSimple.com, which uses simple, explanatory videos to explain the Mormon faith. Feel free to feature any of these videos on your blog, or just share them with non-member friends. We're hoping these videos will be missionary tools to help members share their beliefs. Anyway, sorry to spam your comments section. I couldn't find any contact information for you on your blog.

- Doug & Laurel